Monday, December 13, 2010

Sarah and I find the beach

One of my oldest and closest friends, Sarah, and I were to meet in Costa Rica and travel a bit together for a few days before she was heading to the beach and second home, Nosara, to teach a yoga workshop. Since I had been to CR a bunch of times I was excited to show Sarah the non beachy parts of the country, the volcanos and rainforests and she in turn would show me Nosara a yogi and surfer haven that she had been visiting for 7 years. Needless to say our plan didn't work out exactly how we wanted it to . . . we arrived in Monteverde late in the afternoon and woke up the next morning to insane amounts of rain. Downpour. In fact, it was difficult for us to even venture outside to the supermarket. We decided that we would skip Arenal, La Fortuna and the volcano and head to the beach and nice weather.



It worked! Our 4 hour bus ride took the clouds away and we arrived in Nosara and the sun was shinning. Because were a day early we needed a place to crash for a night and Sarah´s friends were wrapping up their one month yoga teachers training. The two couples were incredibly nice and took care of Sarah and me like we were part of their family. I am overwhelmed with gratitude when I think of them and their kindness. They even sponsored me for a day and I splurged and bought a smoothie and stayed in a nice hotel in Mal Pais a few days later. They were all wonderful people who were at such an interesting place and I feel so lucky to have met them.

Sarah had a few days before she was scheduled to start her yoga training and took me to a graduation of the previous class. It was great to see this kind of subculture and I´m so happy to have experienced it with Sarah and got to know a different part of her life. Here is a picture of us post celebration:

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the ridiculously beautiful beaches here . . . we spent plenty of time relaxing and checking out the sunsets. Sarah´s two friends from college who were teaching English nearby came and visited on one of their last weekends in CR. We all chilled out for a day and they brought me back to their place for the night and took me in until I was to meet my cousin, E.J., in Tamarindo. Again I was fortunate enough to meet such incredible people who were so kind to take care of me! Kelsey and Mike are traveling for the next 6 months or so and have great karma coming their way.

As you can see from my previous posts, Argentina wasn´t the best time for me. It´s great to know that when you need something, it will come to you. I needed friends, people I was comfortable with, and kindness and I got all of it within a matter of a few days. 

Below are so pictures of the beach and Nosara. As always, feel free to check out all my picasa albums at   http://picasaweb.google.com/mahureau/NosaraCostaRica#

Beach cooler:



 View from a house Sarah and her friends rented for the weekend:




Next stop: cousins retreat with Phil and E.J.

4 comments:

  1. hmm sounds like I need me a little bit of Costa Rica right now!! looks like fun, Mags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie,
    It was so great to meet you in Costa Rica! Ken and I are amazed by your courage and adventurous spirit and eagerly await reading about the next part of your adventure. I tried to post a photo of your "bedroom" at our cabina but couldn't do it. If you are ever in MN we will have a real bedroom and bed for you!
    Blessings,
    Michele and Ken Determan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog and pictures! Have you ever been to Korea? I am also blogging about Korea these days. You may wanna see: http://ellacino.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eleonora! Your blog looks great. I'm heading to Korea in April so your blog will be incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete