Monday, November 29, 2010

Sad News from Home

I've been meaning to write this post for about a week and a half now and everytime I sit to do it I just can't find the words . . . but I have about two more hours until I jump into a taxi and head to Costa Rica and felt like I needed to post before leaving South America and Argentina, in particular.

Every traveller's number one worry is that they'll lose their passport, duh, it's pain in the butt and you can't leave the country you're in. Their number two worry is that they'll get a phone call or email from home that makes them feel like a world away from their family. Unfortunately, my mom emailed me a little over a week ago to let me know that my Uncle Peco (her brother) had passed away that morning. My friend Laura was, thankfully, still with me at the time so there was someone there to help me with my initial shock. Then I started to check flights online, find a way to get home so that I could be with everyone but soon came to realize it would be far too expensive and wouldn't even guarantee me arriving in time for the services.

In the past week or my family forward me some stories of my Uncle Peco and then my cousin Billy made an amazing blog to capture all of them and I was so happy that I've had the opportunity to read all of them, in full. Although it's different from the typical grieving process it seems to be working and I'm going to continue along those lines by sharing my two biggest appreciations of my Uncle Peco.


Many of you know that I think and talk in stories. I collect my stories and retell them constantly. I even have a place where I store all of my stories and rate them based on their category (my small world stories, my top ten stories of all time, my don't tell my parents stories, etc). I can spot a good story teller from a mile away based on the build up, character development and closing. I know that for a fact my Uncle Peco had something to do with my love and appreciation for good story. He was one of the world's best at telling, maybe even making up, and playing a part in a good story. Some stories he played the leading role. I can't tell you how many times I've sat around the dinner table and heard about Peco's crazy times at Villanova and some of the absolutely hilarious (and I would say brilliant) things he did growing up. Peco also had a knack for telling one heck of a story. His delivery was impecable. He was able to read his crowd and know whether it was time for a small anecdote or if people wanted to hear a full blown narrative including background, setting, etc. As the ringleader and one of the oldest in the family, there is no doubt in my mind that it was Peco that kept the storytelling tradition alive.

Another big thing I'll remember about my uncle is that he learned how to focus on the good things in life. He would light up when talking about both his grandkids and kids. I feel so fortunate to have spent time with my uncle at both of my siblings weddings this summer talking about how the grandkids were doing, how funny their personalities were, how they were doing in sports, etc. I know that it would have been easy for Peco not to focus on the good things in life, to be overcome with seeing people when they are not at their best. Instead, he chose to put his energy in the right place and, in my interpretation, value the right things. He managed to pass along this sentiment to all of his kids who carry out their love for their family everyday.

And while I sit and reflect, over 5000 miles away from many of my family and friends, those same two appreciation are what I'll take with me moving forward on my trip. First and foremost: life is an adventure and second: to focus on the good that's around you.

To making great stories and valuing the good in the world, Uncle Peco!

Much love,

Me

7 comments:

  1. Maggieeee, you made me cry again! So very true... great post. love you, sistah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie!! I knew the storytelling tradition would be kept alive, but it is wonderful to see it in action! Peco would be proud. :-) Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Just when I had stopped crying for the night, Susan sent this along! :)
    Maggie, what a fantastic post. He loved you guys and was proud of you too. He would be happy to know of his legacy of love and laughter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a great post and a legacy that Peco would love. I always loved your small world stories...
    Hugs, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful tribute, Maggie. Where were you when we were struggling with the eulogy? :)

    On a more serious note, I would like to hear some of the "don't tell my parents stories". Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm, yes... I think I need to hear some of the "don't tell the parents stories" as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi maggie, I'm sorry about your loss. :-( I'm glad you had your friend there for support. Your family is wonderful for helping to reach out to you as best as they can even if its just digitally. keep remembering those moments.

    ReplyDelete