Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cusco, Peru


It's been a very long time since I last contributed to the blog. I blame it all on Laura. Since I wrote last I took a 22 hour bus ride to Cusco from Lima. To most, that sounds absolutely ridiculous. Why would it take so long since the flight from Lima to Cusco is only an hour? Well, most of the trip includes the bus climbing up and down the mountainside. Buses in South America are the way to travel and usually have a cama class that allow you to recline almost completely. They feed you and play about a million movies, since being in South America I've seen Jennifer Lopez's The Backup Plan 4 times. It sucks, by the way.

Cusco is amazing. The city is higher than Machu Picchu itself and is absolutely gorgeous. It's not as busy as Lima and is much much smaller. I dig the city. Easy to get around, nice people and great weather. It was in the 70s or 80s most days if the sun was out. I arrived a bit early and hung around with a Scotish couple I met in Lima for a few days before halloween. You can see Sam and Fraser and I playing darts below Fraser just one and is very happy about me taking a million pictures:

That night we stepped outside to see some kind of celebration with fireworks and music. The square was packed with people, still not quite sure why. What was incredible impressive was the wood mechinisms they built to launch the fireworks. We saw people constructing during the day but I figured it was some art instillation or something. Turns out they actually light the fireworks from this cool structure!






Cusco was excellent but there was one last, very obvious thing to do . . . Next post will detail Laura and my voyage to Machu Picchu via the DEATH BUS.

Much love,

Me

2 comments: