Monday, November 29, 2010

Still in Buenos Aires?

Many of you have asked me within the past couple of weeks "Are you seriously still in Buenos Aires"? I managed to get a bit off budget and instead of heading to the Mendoza or Salta I needed to stay put, make my meals, and try my very best not to spend any money. It was worth it, though, as I had a blast with Laura and we got to see some amazing things while she was here and hopefully I will be on track for Costa Rica and getting home for Christmas.

One thing I've noticed about travel -  and solo travel, in particular - is that the highs are extremely high and the lows are so, very, low. There seems to be little to no in between point which is difficult for me to deal with because in my regular life at home things are pretty consistent and my moods refect my lifestyle. Buenos Aires for me, was a very low point. After Laura left I heard some bad news at home and it was really hard to deal with by myself and be so far away from my family. Two days later, I was ripped off by a cab driver (he managed to scam 40 bucks off of me by claiming that my friend and I had fake bills - common in Argentina - when he really switched the cash quickly and gave us the fake bills, taking our real ones and leaving us 80 bucks in the whole). Then it was Thanksgiving and I found myself without any friends, alone, in a place where quite frankly I didn't want to be.

Don't get me wrong, as many of you have read, my highs have been phenomenal. But there does come a time when things get very rough. And, I don't want to discourage anyone from visiting B.A. though - come! It is a beautiful city! So folks, it's time I move on from South America. I will miss so much of it, but probably not Buenos Aires, anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. safe travels to costa rica Mags!! See you so very sooooooon!!!

    ReplyDelete