Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ljubljana



Slovenia would have been an easy country to skip over. I could have just gone straight to Budapest from Zagreb but I'm incredibly happy that I decided to check it out for a few days. It's only a two and a half hour train ride from Zagreb and cost me all of 10 euros to get there. I had heard from tons of travelers not to sleep on Slovenia and to make sure I get to the countryside.

My initial reaction to Slovenia was "holy crap this place is gorgeous". I had no clue the country was so green and hilly. I was also incredibly impressed with the amount of public benches and places to sit around urban spaces. This is a rarity in cities and I appreciated the fact that I could just sit and people watch for while.

My second reaction to Slovenia and Ljubjana in particular is that there are more bikers than pedestrians. The bike lanes are everywhere and I managed to piss of more than one rider because I didn't see the red path painted in the side walk. I wanted to yell back to them, "I'm on your side, man, I just need some time to get used to all these bikes!"

My one excursion was visiting the caves just outside of Ljubljana. It's one of the biggest tourist attractions in Europe and they've had over 30 million visitors! The caves were super cold (about 45 degrees) and although I was inappropriately dressed, I still really liked the place! Check out some of the pictures:









Slovenia was, without a doubt, a great choice for stops on my trip. I will definitely visit again and hopefully get the change to see some more of the countryside. Next stop: BUDAPEST!

1 comment: