Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's a Birthday Bali

Okay, so it wasn't the biggest birthday party I've ever had but it was certainly the most relaxed and stress free. I arrived in Bali after a quick one day stop in Singapore (more to come on that bizarre city). I only had 6 nights and didn't have much of a plan.

I imagined landing and instantly hearing Florence and the Machine the Dog Days are Over and feeling like this kid:
 

By the way, this is the ONLY Eat, Pray, Love reference you'll see in this blog and if you don't get it then you missed the best part of the film which is Florence and the Machine. Instead, I was met with a nutty amount of traffic and congestion. Huh? I thought I was going to ride bikes in the country side and meditate and shit. No frolicking in the rice fields, just motorbikes, motorbikes and motorbikes. I arranged to stay at a guest house which worked out fine except for the fact that I was trapped because the free motorbikes they provided scared the living hell out of me. (Again, I imagined leisurely drives through rural Bali not two, six or eight lane traffic). So after one night I pulled the "but it's my birthday" card and booked a swanky hotel with some points I racked up on my credit card. This was the first time I spent more than my budget on just a hotel but it was well worth it. 


I did manage to squeeze in a tour of Southern Bali my first full day that gave me a taste of the Balinese culture. We started going to turtle island (most turtle islands are tourist traps, this was no exception) and then hit the beach. Here are some pictures of the Indian Ocean and the monkeys that greeted us while walking back up from the beach to meet our driver. 







The highlight for me was Uluwatu Temple and seeing a traditional Balinese dance. Unlike some other dances, this one featured a chorus of 50 dudes chanting instead of having instruments. The story I had just learned from a museum 3 days before in Singapore in an exhibit. Here are the pictures of the temple and performance at sunset: 







After moving to my super nice resort I just spent time chillin in an air conditioned room and swimming in the two enormous pools. I finished some books and took naps and honestly wouldn't have remembered that it was my birthday until the staff brought me a cake. While I would prefer celebrating with my twin sis, it wasn't half bad being alone reading by the pool. 


My last day included a bike tour of rural Bali and it was a perfect way to end my visit. This is what I had heard of Bali being - peaceful and quiet. Our tour guide told us tons of information on the land of a thousand temples. 







So Bali wasn't exactly what I expected but what I will remember is how much I loved the Balinese people. They are absolutely hilarious and have a great sense of humor and are overwhelmingly welcoming. 

Tomorrow I head back to Singapore and then on to Kuala Lampur. More posts to come!




2 comments:

  1. Wow very cool--monkeys that must have been fun, or annoying...I've never been to a place that has monkeys! Glad to hear you had a good b-day and that you didn't hurt yourself on a motorbike. Still miss you--I'm sad we didn't take one picture together when you were in Sydney did we? Slack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool Mags! looks like your last day there made the trip worth it! (that, and the sweet birthday cake.) yubyas :)

    ReplyDelete