Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hello Singapore


Singapore was my first stop in Asia and it was a good way to ease into the continent. It's a very big city and it is extremely well organized. It seems as though the place was completely planned before even creating it. If you know anything about how I feel about cities, particularly how I feel about planning, you'd know I wasn't a huge fan of the city. I'm more of a Jane Jacobs, organic development of the city kind of gal. But, it was nice to be in such a clean place that was easy to navigate. Nearly every question that I had was answered, in English, on some sign with a picture to help with comprehension. I just couldn't believe how easy it was to get around, go to the airport, and ride the subway (MRT).

My stop in Singapore was fairly uneventful but I did manage to squeeze in a good day or two of museums (a way to stay out of the insane heat and humidity) and learn a ton about the country and how it was developed. I also met some great people at the hostel I was staying at - all just moving through Singapore and en route to some other Asian country.



Next stop: Kuala Lumpur!

No comments:

Post a Comment